Our Annual Screenplay Competition for horror scripts returns! This is a yearly contest with winners being announced in AUGUST 2018.
Feature (50-100 pages)
Short (Under 50 pages)
All submissions must be in the horror genre. They may be in any horror sub-genre, such as horror-comedy, thriller, creature feature, etc... However, they must be original stories and characters. Fan Fiction, Remakes, and Adaptations are NOT accepted.
We know how important feedback is to writers, so our screenplay competition also has a submission option for feedback that includes detailed judge's notes. (Selecting this option will not increase your chances of winning.) All of the judges for our screenplay contest are award-winning writers who will give notes and suggestions where they feel the strengths and weaknesses are in a script. While we try to get feedback out as quickly as possible, please note that feedback will be sent only after the script has been fully evaluated by one of our judges, which may be several weeks from the time of submission.
The winning writer of each category will receive winner's laurels, the comprehensive final notes from all of the judges, and a cash prize (sent via PayPal in US funds). They will also be spotlighted on our website and social media.
Winning feature screenplay - $100.00
Winning short screenplay - $50.00
Only the writer may submit a screenplay for this competition. We will not show any work online (in public). The writers of winning screenplays will be invited to send us links to their website or promotional site to be shown on our website and social media, but this is optional.
Winning laurels and cash prizes are sent to the submitter only. If there is more than one writer, it is up to them to agree on how to divide and share monetary awards.
1. Submissions are being accepted exclusively via FilmFreeway. Pdf file format only. All entries must be submitted electronically.
2. All scripts and screenplays must be written in English. A title page with contact information must be included with every script. All pages must be numbered. Submissions should be in industry standard screenplay format.
3. Multiple projects may be submitted. However, duplicate entries of the same script will be automatically disqualified.
4. All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s). Adaptations, sequel/prequel specs, and “fan film” scripts are not eligible to compete.
5. If the script is written by a writing team, it must be submitted by one of the writers with the consent of the other (any and all prizes will be sent to the writer who submitted the winning script, it is the responsibility of the writing team to share or divide the prizes.)
6. Screenplays must not have been sold, optioned, or produced prior to the end of the contest.
7. Revisions, corrected pages, or re-drafts will not be accepted - please ensure that what you submit is your final and complete version.
8. The decisions of the judges are final and shall not be disputed. The contest and its coordinators may not be held responsible for any errors or omissions by the judges.
9. You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless from any claim made by you or any third party due to or arising out of project(s) you submit to this contest. You understand that there are thousands of writers and the similarities in story, plot, characters, etc... of two or more screenplays is certainly a possibility. The contest directors and judges will not knowingly share your submission with any third party. It is recommended that you register your script with the WGA and/or the US Copyright Office before the time of submission.
10. All entry fees are non-refundable, even in the case of disqualification or withdrawal of an entry. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Submit your screenplay through FilmFreeway!